Study Away Basics
- You must be in good academic standing with no deficiencies. The junior year is the traditional time for study away. If you wish to study away in your sophomore or senior year you must petition the Committee on Academic Standingfor permission. All students are expected to be in residence during the final semester of their senior year.
- You must have completed at least 2 out of 3 distribution requirementsin each division. You may not complete distribution requirements elsewhere.
- You must have completed two writing intensive courses by the end of the sophomore year if you plan to study away for a full year. If you plan to study away for one semester, you must have completed one writing intensive course by the end of the sophomore year.
- You must have completed the Quantitative Formal Reasoning (QFR) requirement if you are studying away the full year.
- You must plan to declare your major and discuss your plan to study away with the chair or designated advisor of that academic department.
- You must submit the Study Away Petition and the essay by the designated deadline (March 1) for study away for the preceding Fall, Spring, or Full Academic Year.
- You must meet the language requirements of Williams and of the program, if applicable.
- You must have completed all of the 4 P.E. credits by the end of the sophomore year. (Contact Athletics if you need to make arrangements for Study Away approval and completion of PE credits.)
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 for most programs. Some programs may require a higher grade point average. Williams does not have a grade point average requirement for study away.
- You must attend a program approved by Williams for credit.
Inquiries regarding Study Away at Williams should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.