Each year the International Education and Study Away office holds a contest for students who studied away during the previous year. Students are emailed to enter the contest the fall after they return.
Announcing our 2018 Study Away Photo Contest WINNERS!
Category: International Students at Williams
2018 Study Away Photo and Video Contest!
Winners of each category and the video contest will receive a Tunnel City gift card.
All photos and videos are then displayed in Sawyer Library in mid-November through December, in celebration of International Education Week (November 12 – 16 2018). This is a chance for students to share their study away/international experience with the Williams community.
Students may submit up to 4 photos – one per category, and one video for consideration. Deadline for submission: October 22nd, 2018 at 4pm.
- Entries must be from a semester or year study away program you attended through Williams College
- Photos must be JPEG format greater than 1.5MB in size
- Please name your photos as follows: first initial_last name_category (example: ‘a_smith_landscape’)
- Entries must be your original work
- Entries must be fit for public display
- Entries must include a location/description
- People/Portraits: people, animals, groups (no selfies, please).
- Landscapes/Landmarks: horizons, architecture, natural beauty, landscapes, and landmarks.
- Cross-Cultural: May include images of food, objects, traditions or celebrations unique to a particular culture. Photos should show Williams students ‘in action’ in another location and represent the ideals of study away (learning, awareness, sensitivity, exploration).
- International Students at Williams: This category is for international students here at Williams to share photos of their home countries or photos of themselves immersed in the Williams experience.
Must be narrated, be appropriate and non-offensive, and highlight the study away program attended. Maximum length of 3 minutes long. No uploads of videos allowed, they must be submitted as a Vimeo or YouTube link.
Judging and Voting:
The top 10 finalists in each category will be selected by staff and administrators from around the College. Entries will be selected based on technical merit, representation of your experience, creativity/uniqueness, and sensitivity toward the host culture. The finalist photographs and videos will be shared on social media and in a public voting event that will take place on November 12th, 2018 from 4-6pm in Paresky. Students, faculty, and staff will have the chance to vote for the overall winners at this reception. Winners will then be announced on Friday, November 16th.