Before you depart keep in mind:
- Most of you will be serving as a representative of Williams College while studying abroad whether that is your intention or not. Because you will be representing an American higher education institution, you may be expected to discuss your perspectives on all things American. This can include conversations about the role of the United States in international affairs and certainly about American popular culture. Be prepared.
- Do your homework about the culture you will be entering and the differences you will encounter.
- You will probably not be taken care of like you are here at Williams. It’s best to expect this and maybe be pleasantly surprised.
- Be flexible! Whether you’re in Great Britain or Tanzania, you are in a foreign country. The enjoyment of your new experiences depends on your being open-minded and willing to adapt.
- YOUR experience depends on YOU.
- Use this checklist to help you wrap up all loose ends at Williams before you depart.
Study Away Pre-Departure Webinar
Students departing for study away are required to complete the Pre-Departure Webinar and quiz, which is now located in the GLOW course system. All students with open petitions will be added to the course so as to complete the webinar, quiz, and other requirements.
Spring Semester Study Away: December 1, 2018
Fall and Full Year Study Away: April 26, 2019
I’ve Been Accepted… Now What?:
- Once you are accepted to your program, confirm your intent to study away by filling out the Confirmation of Acceptance online form. If this program differs from the program on your petition, contact the Director to see if she will require a new study away essay for the program.
- CAS (Committee on Academic Standing) Letter: It is your responsibility to confirm the course and credit information contained in this letter is correct. If it is not, advise the International Education and Study Away office immediately.
- CAS Letter: Pages 2 and 3 outline your next steps in the process. Read thoroughly.
Refer to instructions for more information.